Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 6/6] imap-send: correctly report "host" when using "tunnel"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2023 13:26:10 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think you might be right that people might rely on this after having
> discovered this undocumented interaction by accident.
>
> But I also think that the lack of questions about how to get imap-send's
> tunnel mode to work with auth helpers (at least I couldn't find any
> on-list), which is what you'd run into if you went by the documentation
> & were trying to get htat ot work, is a pretty good sign that this may
> be either entirely unused by anyone, or at best very obscure.

I actually think the misconfiguration (from documentation's point of
view) Peff is taking advantage of is a behaviour you would naturally
expect, if you do not read the documentation but are merely aware of
the presence of .host and .tunnel and guess what these do.  And
those who felt it was a natural design would probably not have asked
any question about it.  Documenting the current behaviour better
would not hurt.  Updating the behaviour and documenting the new
behaviour would not help anybody.