Subject: Re: [PATCH] t1800: correct test to handle Cygwin

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 14:33:43 -0700

Adam Dinwoodie <[email-masked]> writes:

> ... It makes sense
> given the history of Git for Windows, but it's not a term many people
> are likely to be familiar with unless they've already been playing
> around with the MinGW/Cygwin environments, and I'm not sure that's a
> useful prerequisite for folk to be able to contribute to Git. I'm not
> sure what a better solution here might be; maybe retire "MINGW" and
> redefine "WINDOWS" to take its place, with current uses of "WINDOWS"
> being replaced with "WINDOWS || CYGWIN"?

It sounds more like "the world would've could've been a better place
if we did X", which is too late.  As a non-Windows person, I think
the current approach is OK that assumes that those who write and
read to understand our tests can answer the question: "You're on
Windows?  There are MINGW or CYGWIN, which one do you have?"

>> As Đoàn Trần Công Danh pointed out, the TODO: comment may need to be
>> updated.  For future-proofing, perhaps "a more similar) error on all
>> platforms." would be appropriate.
>
> I'll respin with some updated comments shortly…

Thanks.