Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 00/21] git-p4: Various code tidy-ups

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 13:30:47 -0800

Joel Holdsworth <[email-masked]> writes:

> At what point will the next branch be merged into master? At the
> point of the next release, or before? I couldn't find any
> information about it.

Each topic that is in 'next' is merged to 'master' individually when
it is ready, so topics A, B, and C may have got merged to 'next' in
this order, but only A and C may be merged while B may stay in
'next' while waiting for necessary follow-on work.

The answer is "'next' is never merged as a whole to 'master'".  From
time to time, the tip of 'next' and 'master' may happen to have the
same tree when all topics merged to 'next' have graduated to
'master' while no new topics become ready for 'next', but that is a
mere coincidence and not a designed part of the workflow.

Perhaps looking for "Note from the maintainer" in the list archive
would find more info, hopefully?

> The SubmittingPatches guide talks about branching off master, and merging the prerequisite topic branches. For this patch-set I will need:
>
>   * jh/p4-spawning-external-commands-cleanup
>   * jh/p4-fix-use-of-process-error-exception
>   * ab/config-based-hooks-2

Correct.  FWIW, I was updating the "What's cooking" report and am
planning to propose merging the first two to 'master' either today
or tomorrow as part of the first batch, and the last one in the next
batch after a few days.

> If I then do "git send-email [...] origin/master" you will get all
> these patches included in my emails. Is this expected? It seems
> undesirable.

You'd use "git format-patch [...] $BASE" where $BASE is the commit
you'll locally create by merging these prerequisite topics to
'master'.

Thanks.