Subject: Re: [PATCH] name-rev: deprecate --stdin in favor of --annotate-text

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 00:16:42 -0800

John Cai <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Not a suggestion to change anything in this patch, but just an
>> observation.
>> 
>> - If the mode is useful enough for many users, certainly somebody
>>   would have rewritten this loop to lift the line-length limit, but
>>   nobody noticed and complained about this 2k limit for the past 17
>>   years.  I am not sure if that is an indication that nobody uses
>>   the option in its current form.
>
> Would this also mean that deprecating --stdin wouldn’t be **too**
> disruptive to existing users and scripts?

That probably is a lot of wishful thinking.  Most likely, it is an
indication that most text input files that go into the command have
no overly long lines ;-)  Loss of or change in behaviour of the
command would be disruptive for the users who are content with the
limitation that they cannot feed lines wider than 2k.