Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] make: add install-stripped target

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 13:08:06 -0700

Bagas Sanjaya <[email-masked]> writes:

> +install-stripped: install
> +	for f in $(PROGRAMS) git$X; do \
> +		find $$prefix -type f -name $$f -exec $(STRIP) $(STRIP_OPTS) {} \; ; \
> +	done
> +

This sounds awfully wasteful.

The recipe for the install target knows exactly each of these
programs are installed, but yet the above is running around inside
$prefix to find them after the fact.

It also looks incorrect, too.

It is not guaranteed that $prefix does not contain any $IFS
whitespace in it, and worse yet, $prefix may not contain $bindir or
$libexecdir in it, so find may never reach these binaries.

It also depends on "strip" not to break handlinks to the same
binary.  "git" is linked to many built-in command binary like
"git-cat-file" and "git-remote-$curl" for various protocols are
installed by creating links to "git-remote-http".  It seems that the
"strip" command from GNU binutils package strips such a binary
in-place, but I do not think there is no fundamental reason to
believe that everybody else's "strip" would behave that way.

I would have expected that 'install-stripped' and 'install' targets
would run the same recipe, and when $(install_bindir_programs) are
installed in $(bindir) using $(INSTALL), we would optionally pass
the '--strip' option to the $(INSTALL) program when the recipe is
run for the install-stripped target.  All the tricky symlinking,
hardlinking and copying happens only on the result of that step, and
the strip step should happen before that, I would think.

> +.PHONY: install-gitweb install-doc install-man install-man-perl install-html install-info install-pdf install-stripped

Split the overly long line like this into two or more.

>  .PHONY: quick-install-doc quick-install-man quick-install-html
>  install-gitweb:
>  	$(MAKE) -C gitweb install