Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Mar 2021, #02; Mon, 8)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 19:44:10 -0800

Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> The second release candidate Git v2.31.0-rc2 will be tagged tomorrow.
>
> Is https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/ being
> considered for -rc3?  If not, I think we should revert
> sh/mergetool-hideresolved.  It's the kind of change that can undermine
> users' trust in "git mergetool", so it's important to me that we don't
> ship it enabled by default.

There is no plan for -rc3, so any such change will be final.

I can go either way.  "git revert -m1 78a26cb720" on top of
v2.31.0-rc2 may be a safer option, especially if it reverts
cleanly.

But if your "let's flip the default" can be sold in a convincing
way, I think that is also safe enough, as I recall I carefully
vetted the patch to make sure that the behaviour would be he same
when the feature is turned off.

Assuming that "let's flip the default" patch indeed correctly flips
the default, that is.  IIRC, there were two and half levels of
configuration involved in the code, and I did not validate that your
patch turned the right "true" into "false" back when I read it.

Thanks.