Subject: Re: [PATCH] ci: github action - add check for whitespace errors

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 11:56:52 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 11:13:43AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> > As the other person in the discussion, I'm sufficiently convinced that
>> > doing this just for PRs is a good step for now. I.e., I think the
>> > "completed form" is just what was posted already (though I agree it is
>> > often convenient to the maintainer to re-post the patch as part of the
>> > ping).
>> 
>> Yes, and CC'ing those who were involved in the review would give
>> them the last chance to say "oh, no, that extra change you added
>> for this final submission was not something I meant to suggest!",
>> etc.
>> 
>> So, is <[email-masked]> as-is the
>> one we should take?
>
> AFAIK it's the only one on the list. :) So yes, that one is fine with
> me.

Thanks.

Another thing the resending does is that it can credit who helped
the patch into the final shape with Reviewed-by/Helped-by etc.  If
the maintainer must hunt for the names of those who had input to the
discussion and judge the degree of contribution for a topic whose
review has been delegated to trusted others, that defeats the whole
point of delegation (I think the attached clarification may help).

For this particular patch, I added Reviewed-by: naming you before
applying.

Thanks.

 Documentation/SubmittingPatches | 8 +++++---
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git c/Documentation/SubmittingPatches w/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
index 291b61e262..87089654ae 100644
--- c/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
+++ w/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
@@ -290,12 +290,14 @@ identify them), to solicit comments and reviews.
 :git-ml: footnote:[The mailing list: [email-masked]]
 
 After the list reached a consensus that it is a good idea to apply the
-patch, re-send it with "To:" set to the maintainer{current-maintainer} and "cc:" the
-list{git-ml} for inclusion.
+patch, re-send it with "To:" set to the maintainer{current-maintainer}
+and "cc:" the list{git-ml} for inclusion.  This is especially relevant
+when the maintainer did not heavily participate in the discussion and
+instead left the review to trusted others.
 
 Do not forget to add trailers such as `Acked-by:`, `Reviewed-by:` and
 `Tested-by:` lines as necessary to credit people who helped your
-patch.
+patch, and "cc:" them when sending such a final version for inclusion.
 
 [[sign-off]]
 === Certify your work by adding your "Signed-off-by: " line