Subject: Re: [Announce] submitGit for patch submission (was "Diffing submodule does not yield complete logs")

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 07:17:15 -0700

Roberto Tyley <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello, I'm stepping up to do that work :) Or at least, I'm implementing a
> one-way GitHub PR -> Mailing list tool, called submitGit:
>
> https://submitgit.herokuapp.com/

Yay ;-)

> Here's what a user does:
>
> * create a PR on https://github.com/git/git
> * logs into https://submitgit.herokuapp.com/ with GitHub auth
> * selects their PR on https://submitgit.herokuapp.com/git/git/pulls

Reasonable.

> * gets submitGit to email the PR as patches to themselves, in order to
> check it looks ok

I can see you are trying to be careful by doing this, but I am not
sure if this step would actually help. Those who are not familiar
with Git development are not expected to know what is "ok" in their
original commit, and if they find bad formatting done by submitGit
(e.g. adds their PR message before the three-dash line instead of
after it), they cannot do much about it anyway.

> * when they're ready, get submitGit to send it to the mailing list on
> their behalf

Nice.

> All discussion of the patch *stays* on the mailing list

Can you identify a reroll of an earlier submission?  If you can use
the in-reply-to and make it a follow-up to the previous round, that
would be great.