Subject: Re: Bashing freelancers

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 14:06:57 -0800

David Kastrup <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Good work is worth good money. Suggesting that people who are not able
>>> to work for free are morally inferior is not conducive for a cooperative
>>> work atmosphere.
>>
>> Yes, but I do not think anybody did any such thing.
>
> "Of course, I am hoping that all the mentors are doing GSoC not for
> money but out of love of our software and our community,"
>
> Huh.

I did not intend any moral judgement in that statement, but after
re-reading it, I would say that "not for money" would have been
better phrased as "not only for money".

Let me clarify.

There _could_ be a mentor who hates Git the software and Git the
community, who wants to mentor students only for the mentorship
stipend.  I do not want to see such mentors.  I would imagine that
such a person surely can find something else that is more enjoyable
and do the mentoring there for money, if competent enough to mentor
others.  And that would be good for everybody.