Subject: Re: [PATCH] Signed-off-by: aum2357 <[email-masked]>

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2026 10:43:13 -0700

Collin Funk <[email-masked]> writes:

> Subject: Re: [PATCH] Signed-off-by: aum2357 <[email-masked]>

The commit title is not where sign-off is made.

> aum2357 <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> diff: use conventional comparison order

The first line of the commit body begins with "diff:" but the patch
is about "add".

>> Replace `0 <= addremove_explicit` with `addremove_explicit >= 0`
>> to follow the common coding style where variables appear on the
>> left side of comparisons.
>> ---
>>  builtin/add.c | 2 +-
>>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
>>
>> diff --git a/builtin/add.c b/builtin/add.c
>> index 0ee21692c2..ad0d6047af 100644
>> --- a/builtin/add.c
>> +++ b/builtin/add.c
>> @@ -432,7 +432,7 @@ int cmd_add(int argc,
>>  	argc--;
>>  	argv++;
>>  
>> -	if (0 <= addremove_explicit)
>> +	if ( addremove_explicit >= 0 )
> ... We also generally prefer the previous ordering there.

CodingGuidelines say that "We prefer a space between the function
name and the parentheses, and no space inside the parentheses.".  

It also says that "less stable value on the left hand side" and
"textual order match the actual order of values" are both valid ways
to write comparisons, and concludes "Just do not mix styles in the
same part of the code and mimic existing styles in the
neighbourhood."

And as you point out, I think this file prefers the "textual order
matches actual order" style (there is only one violation of it in
the file, if I counted correctly, in prune_directory()).

Many things in this patch contradicts the coding guidelines X-<.  I
wish if the vger mailing list can use some e-mail lint installed to
bounce a patch e-mail that ignores our guides like CodingGuidelines
and SubmittingPatches before it reaches the list to the author, with
explanation.