Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/5] ci: make test slicing consistent across Meson/Make

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2026 14:15:13 -0800

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> In the preceding commit we have adjusted test slicing to be one-based
> when using the "ci/run-test-slice.sh" script. But we also have an
> equivalent script for Meson that is still zero-based, which is of course
> inconsistent.
>
> Adapt the script to be one-based, as well, and adapt the GitHub workflow
> accordingly. Note that GitLab doesn't yet use the script, so it does not
> need to be adapted. This will change in the next commit though.
>
> Signed-off-by: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  .github/workflows/main.yml | 2 +-
>  ci/run-test-slice-meson.sh | 2 +-
>  2 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
>
> diff --git a/.github/workflows/main.yml b/.github/workflows/main.yml
> index 2b175dc5c6..1b7a16e1f1 100644
> --- a/.github/workflows/main.yml
> +++ b/.github/workflows/main.yml
> @@ -298,7 +298,7 @@ jobs:
>          path: build
>      - name: Test
>        shell: pwsh
> -      run: ci/run-test-slice-meson.sh build ${{matrix.nr}} 10
> +      run: ci/run-test-slice-meson.sh build ${{matrix.nr + 1}} 10
>      - name: print test failures
>        if: failure() && env.FAILED_TEST_ARTIFACTS != ''
>        shell: bash

Have we successfully run this one?

I am getting

Invalid workflow file: .github/workflows/main.yml#L1
(Line: 153, Col: 12): Unexpected symbol: '+'. Located at position 11
within expression: matrix.nr + 1, (Line: 301, Col: 12): Unexpected
symbol: '+'. Located at position 11 within expression: matrix.nr + 1

https://github.com/orgs/community/discussions/25386 is a 6-year old
discussion so things may have changed quite a lot, but at least back
then the claim was

    Github actions doesn’t support math operations in expressions
    inside ${{ }}. You could add up these two numbers in bash script and
    then use set-env command to give its value to an environment
    variable ...

though.

In the meantime I'll revert the topic out of 'next'.  Sorry for not
catching it while it was in 'seen',.