Subject: Re: Re* [RFH] adding test coverage for contrib/ in CI jobs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2026 15:09:59 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Unfortunately, this seems to reveal existing other problems with
>> subtree tests (t7900), in addition to diff-highlight tests (t9400)
>> in various configurations.
>>
>>   https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/21617099884
>>
>> This Ci run is near the tip of 'seen', so there may be breakages
>> attributable to new topics in flight, but I suspect that many of
>> them are already in 'master', noticed by nobody because nobody ran
>> these tests in these configurations (like "breaking changes",
>> "sha256", "leaks", "reftable", "asan").
>>
>> I didn't look into the details of any of these (yet).
>
> I didn't look into CI failures but spotted an easy one by
> eyeballing.  As we seem to be lacking a dedicated subsystem
> maintainer for this tool, I am CCing those who have touched this
> test file during the past 24 months, plus our resident reftable
> expert.

The subtree tests seems to be badly broken, so for now I've enabled
the contrib tests at CI to only linux-TEST-vars job (which seems to
be passing) and *-breaking-changes jobs.

Help by those who are more familiar with subtree is very much
appreciated.  Start by looking at failures in

    https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/21649279837/job/62409376111

Thanks.