Subject: Re: [PATCH] diff: stop output garbled message in dry run mode

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2025 08:44:29 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2025 at 09:11:34AM +0800, Lidong Yan wrote:
>
>> > Test that exercises "git diff -I<regex>" is in line with what the
>> > original b55e6d36eb wanted to address, but given that we saw a
>> > recent regression report like [*], I would have liked to see "git
>> > diff --quiet" in the test as well.
>> 
>> I will read Peff’s test and see if I should also add some similar tests
>
> What I was hoping was that we'd apply my patch, as a matter of release
> engineering (backing out the regression-causing bit of b55e6d36eb). And
> then you could make more-specific fixes on top (since -I would still
> have potential problems). And then you don't need to add a test for the
> regression case, since it's already there.

Yup, that matches my expectation more closely, which is

 * We'll do the "send to /dev/null as we used to do before the
   dry-run thing" on the 'maint' front, which will be merged up to
   'master' and above.

 * We'll queue "here are fixes to the recently introduced dry-run
   code" (without the /dev/null thing mixed in), and cook that in
   the usual 'seen' down to 'next' down to 'master' route.

In a distant future, we may consider removing the /dev/null thing
once the dry-run code path proves to be stable and robust.

Thanks.