Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 0/7] builtin/repo: introduce stats subcommand

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2025 09:33:14 -0700

Justin Tobler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Changes since V3:
>
> - Changed from using strlen() to utf8_strlen() to take into
>   consideration that translatable strings may have characters that are
>   more than one byte.

If you are truncating a string, chopping the tail end of it, you do
have to take into account the fact that a single character can be
more than one byte long and avoid chopping in the middle of one
character.

But your use of <utf8.h> to measure the display columns for a
formatted name in stats table needs a different care.  You are using
utf8_strwidth() to account for the fact that the number of display
columns consumed to show a non-ASCII string may be different from
the number of bytes in the string.

No need to resend, for the obvious reason that the cover letter
material would not make into the etched-in-stone "git log" history.
I just thought I should mention the above to unconfuse potential
readers.