Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 02/18] make: add -fPIE flag

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2025 16:43:03 -0700

Ezekiel Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2025 at 2:07 PM Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Ezekiel Newren <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> > I was trying to get the rust compiler to link against libgit.a. Both
>> > Meson and Makefile produce libgit.a. No changes were to meson.build
>> > were necessary for that to work, but but with Makefile I would get
>> > errors like:
>> > relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata' can not be used when making a
>> > PIE object; recompile with -fPIE
>>
>> This sounds like a workaround that is somewhat platform and compiler
>> specific limitation, at least to me.  Does this need to be conditional
>> and if so on what?
>
> I don't know, but I have another question to add to yours. Why does
> Make need -fPIE in order for the Rust compiler to link against
> libgit.a created by Make, when Meson doesn't seem to specify PIE
> anywhere and yet the Rust compiler can work with Meson's libgit.a
> output?

I do not know what the build procedure using meson exactly does to
create a library archive.  On the Make side, we do not compile for
position independence, and don't do anything other than bog standard
"ar rcs".  Patrick, any hint?