Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] fast-import: add '--signed-commits=<mode>' option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2025 07:14:47 -0700

Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:

>> ...  Was it so important that we pass a
>> broken signature without inspecting in STRIP mode?  I am guessing
>> that is the reason why the new code tries hard to avoid calling the
>> parse_one_signature() function in these case arms.
>
> Yeah, I thought it was cleaner and a bit faster if we don't parse
> signatures when in STRIP mode. That's why I did it like this.

I do not think parsing performance matters all that much here, but I
think it is a good idea to recover from malformed signature lines if
the parsing code can detect some.  It is likely that the user may be
using STRIP hoping that they can skip bad or unknown signature data
in the incoming stream, so it is beneficial to be lenient there.

> Now as it looks like we don't really mind parsing them, I implemented
> that in V2. In ABORT mode, I still think it might be a bit better to
> ABORT right away though, so that's what I implemented in V2.
>
>> An aside.  I think the warning message about importing should have a
>> word "verbatim" in it, e.g.
>>
>>         warning("importing a commit signature verbatim");
>
> In V2, I have changed the message to what you suggest.

Sounds good.

Thanks.