Subject: Re: Still using "git whatchanged"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2025 13:33:26 -0700

[email-masked] writes:

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2025, at 19:29, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> [email-masked] writes:
>>
>>> apart from what's stated in the subject, I think it's not logical
>>> to use "--raw" when I want to see what has changed.
>>>
>>> "git log" shows me the log. What's the raw part about wanting to
>>> see what's changed?
>>
>> But that is what "git whatchanged" gives, so when one is so attached to
>> what "git whatchanged" does, "--raw" is what we cite as "compatible"
>> option.
>
> My point was merely that IMO "raw" is not the best name for that
> option. When I specify "--raw" on the command line, I usually
> expect the program to output similar data than without that
> option, but of a less refined state or kind.

Sorry, but you are 20 years too late for *that* party.  Once you
invent a time machine and go back 20 years, you can advocate for
different name(s) that may fit your personal preferences better
there.

But not here and not now.