Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] coccicheck: fail "make" when it fails

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2025 21:18:41 -0700

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 21, 2025 at 2:29 AM Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 19, 2025 at 08:35:35AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> >  coccicheck: $(COCCICHECK_PATCHES_INTREE)
>> > +     test $$(cat $(COCCICHECK_PATCHES_INTREE) | wc -c) = 0
>>
>> Definitely a nitpick, but I think using `-eq` instead of `=`
>> and might even come handy from a portability point of view.
>
> Junio has previously expressed[*] a preference for `=` over `-eq` in
> this sort of situation.
>
> [*]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Heh, you have an infinite more memory than I have ;-) 

That one is 12 years ago or so, isn't it?  Not that I changed my
stance.

Having said that, I suspect

    ! grep -q ^ $(COCCICHECK_PATCHES_INTREE)

might have been easier to understand.  We do not want any file with
even a single line in it, and "grep -q" knows to short-circuit
(i.e. if the first file in the COCCICHECK_PATCHES_INTREE list is not
empty, it does not even bother to open the rest of the files).