Subject: Re: [PATCH] t3706: Add test for wildcard vs literal pathspec

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2025 06:11:59 -0700

JAYATHEERTH K <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think something like git commit "*" -m "Test" also would be a great test
> or even git rm command.

Yes, there are things other than "git add" that  take pathspec (even
"git ls-files" does so), and demonstrating the blast radious of the
existing "bug" you fixed, with how they behave differently and
better with your fix, would be a good thing to do.

But make sure you follow "dashed options first, then other args"
convention.  I do not offhand know (and *MORE* *IMPORTANTLY*, I do
not want anybody to depend on) what the current command line parser
happens to do to

        git commit "*" -m "Test"

If you meant to say that a pathspec with glob, always write it the
right way:

	git commit -m "Test" -- "*"

> About the windows question, I think I will see if there is any common
> ground I could find
> But until then I think prereq is a great option.

The FUNNYNAMES prereq was invented to mark tests that rely on
filesystem being able to handle certain letters, so that may be a
good thing to use.