Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/1] builtin/update-server-info: remove unnecessary if statement

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2025 15:49:19 +0000

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 6, 2025 at 8:15 AM Usman Akinyemi
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Since we already teach the `repo_config()` in "1a764cdbdc
>> (Merge branch 'ua/some-builtins-wo-the-repository', 2025-03-26)"
>> to allow `repo` to be NULL, no need to check if `repo` is NULL
>> before calling `repo_config()`.
>
> Okay, makes sense. However...
>
> By referencing only the merge commit in the above message, you force
> reviewers and future readers to chase down and locate the actual
> commit[*] which taught repo_config() to accept NULL for `repo`.

Thanks for raising this.  

When referring to an entire long series as a whole, a reference to
the concluding merge might be more useful, as the topic name
(hopefully) concisely summarizes what the topic was.  However,
referring to a single patch series, or a single step in a longer
topic, ...

> To be
> more friendly to those people, you should help them by instead
> referencing the commit[*] itself.

... this is a useful general advice.

> [*]: f29f1990b5 (config: teach repo_config to allow `repo` to be NULL,
> 2025-03-08)
>
>> Signed-off-by: Usman Akinyemi <[email-masked]>