Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] ci: add build checking for side-effects in assert() calls

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2025 10:29:27 -0700

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Licensing, mostly, as clever things we see are not necessarily home
>> grown.  I know the patch came with DCO sign-off, but it does not
>> hurt to double check.
>
> These two lines:
>
>> +extern int not_supposed_to_survive;
>> +#define assert(expr) ((void)(not_supposed_to_survive || (expr)))
>
> , which serve as the core trick, I had used elsewhere before.

It may be arguable that it is too small to be copyrightable and
there is no other way to express the idea behind that check, but
in any case ...

> Anyone got a clever alternative?

... as I cannot unsee your patch, I cannot be the one who comes up
with a clever alternative, if we are worried about licensing with
what you posted X-<.