Subject: Re: [PATCHv2 1/4] add-patch: Fix type missmatch rom msvc

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2025 16:53:24 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

>> If we're using size_t, we can use %zu.  That's specified in C99 as the
>> appropriate formatting type for size_t, and we require C99 or C11 for
>> all systems.  We don't need to cast to uintmax_t.
>
> You and Documentation/CodingGuidelines contradict with each other
> here.

By this, I do not necessarily mean that we should stick to the past
tradition since d7d850e2 (CodingGuidelines: mention C99 features we
can't use, 2022-10-10), written back when MSVC was claiming to do
C99 without letting us use %z conversion.

What I meant was that if we are to update our stance against %z
conversion after re-evaluating the situation (and such time will
certainly come someday---I do not offhand know if it can be today),
we should update the documentation before or at least at the same
time we recommend its use to new people.

Thanks.