Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/3] ls-remote: introduce --branches and deprecate --heads

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2024 08:18:26 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +test_expect_success 'ls-remote -h is deprecated w/o warning' '
>> +	git ls-remote -h self >actual 2>warning &&
>> +	test_cmp expected.branches actual &&
>> +	test_grep ! deprecated warning
>> +'
>
> It is a bit funny to grep for something that wasn't ever there. But I
> don't mind it much as we may eventually want to introduce such a
> deprecation warning if we ever decide to go through with the
> deprecation.

It is indeed funny.  We thought about adding and then made a
conscious decision not to add a deprecation warning, so this
testpiece serves as a documentation of the status quo, and a
back-pointer for readers to blame back to the message of the
commit that introduced this one, which clearly says the lack
of warning is something we may want to reconsider later.

So, this should be fine (the same for 3/3).

Thanks.