Subject: Re: [Improvements on messages 0/5] Disambuiguate between options and commands

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 10:43:31 -0800

Alexander Shopov <[email-masked]> writes:

> These are trivial fixes to messages.
> They make sure commands and options are markes as such.
> This will help translators and end users.
> This will also reduce the special cases Jiang Xin keeps
> for git-po-helper which will ease maintenance.
>
> I am basing these on maint but I have also checked that
> they ar still relevant by cherry picking on top of latest and next.

I've looked at all of them and they looked sensible.

The changes look like this:

	-	die(_("something option something: %s"), arg);
	+	die(_("something --option something: %s"), arg);

It is not a fault of this patch, but wasn't the concensus that the
ideal form would be more like this:

		die(_("something %s something: %s"), "--option", arg);

in order to completely avoid tempting translators into touching
"--option", IIRC?

These patches do not make things worse, so I am willing to say they
are strict improvements and the series is a good first step if we
wanted to follow through to eject option names out of translatable
strings later.

Thanks.