Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 1/4] t0080: turn t-basic unit test into a helper

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 14:54:21 -0800

Josh Steadmon <[email-masked]> writes:

> As such, it makes more sense for t-basic to be a helper item for
> t0080-unit-test-output.sh, ...

Up to this part was very understandable and agreeable, but I was
surprised to see ...

> ... so let's move it to t/t0080/t-basic.c and
> adjust Makefiles and .gitignores as necessary.

... this conclusion.  I somehow thought that t-basic part would be a
good test-tool subcommand, as it is run from the suite of shell
scripts for end-to-end testing CLI interaction.

Do we have any precedent to place programs placed under t/tXXXX/ and
get them compiled?

> This has the additional benefit that test harnesses seeking to run all
> unit tests can find them with a simple glob of "t/unit-tests/bin/t-*",
> with no exceptions needed.

And this motivation is very much understandable, and for that, as
long as it is outside t/unit-tests/, it would be good.  I just did
not expect it to hang under t/t0080/, inviting more unit test pieces
that are triggerable from the numberd shell scripts to hang under
random t/t[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]/ directories.