Subject: Re: [GSoC][RFC] Replace use of atoi() with strtol_i(), as a microproject

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:44:27 -0800

Mohit Marathe <[email-masked]> writes:

> I took a closer look at `builtin/patch-id.c` and it seems replacing 
> `atoi()` (which is used to parse numbers in the hunk header) wouldn't
> improve anything, unless I'm missing something.

You can of course notice an invalid patch that places non-digit to
the hunk header and error out with such a change.  If we are reading
output from Git that we are invoking, hopefully we will not see such
an invalid patch, but the command is designed to read arbitrary
input like a patch e-mail you received over the network, so I do not
think it is fair to say there is no merit to such a change, even
though I agree that it may not matter all that much.

A corrupt patch may be getting a nonsense patch-ID with the current
code and hopefully is not matching other patches that are not
corrupt, but with such a change, a corrupt patch may not be getting
any patch-ID and a loop that computes patch-ID for many files and
try to match them up might need to be rewritten to take the new
failure case into account.