Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc/git-bisect: clarify `git bisect run` syntax

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:35:41 -0700

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 22, 2023 at 4:03 PM cousteau via GitGitGadget
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> The description of the `git bisect run` command syntax at the beginning
>> of the manpage is `git bisect run <cmd>...`, which isn't quite clear
>> about what `<cmd>` is or what the `...` mean; one could think that it is
>> the whole (quoted) command line with all arguments in a single string,
>> or that it supports multiple commands, or that it doesn't accept
>> commands with arguments at all.
>>
>> Change to `git bisect run <cmd> [<arg>...]` to clarify the syntax.
>
> Okay, makes sense.
>
>> Signed-off-by: Javier Mora <[email-masked]>
>> ---
>> diff --git a/Documentation/git-bisect.txt b/Documentation/git-bisect.txt
>> @@ -26,7 +26,7 @@ on the subcommand:
>> - git bisect run <cmd>...
>> + git bisect run <cmd> [<arg>...]
>
> The output of `git bisect -h` suffers the same problem. Perhaps this
> patch can fix that, as well?

Good eyes.

Not a new problem and obviously can be left outside of this simple
update, but I wonder if we should eventually move these into the
proper SYNOPSIS section.  Other multi-modal commands like "git
checkout", "git rebase", etc. do list different forms all in the
SYNOPSIS section.

I also thought at least some commands we know the "-h" output and
SYNOPSIS match, we had tests to ensure they do not drift apart.  We
would probably want to cover more subcommands with t0450.

Thanks.