Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: simplify man version

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 16:43:59 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Is this a complete patch, or will this leave us in an incomplete
>> in-between place?
>> 
>> We have some references to manversion in "git grep manversion
>> Documentation/" in asciidoc.conf and asciidoctor-extensions.rb
>> remaining after this ptach is applied, which presumably are no
>> longer used.  I would imagine that these leftover references end up
>> substituting them with something benign, like an empty string, in
>> the output, but it somehow makes me feel dirty [*].
>
> I think we are OK with this patch on its own. Asciidoc seems to be smart
> enough to omit the empty XML element on its own.

OK, that kind of "why is this a safe thing to do" was what I
expected to see explained in the proposed log message.

Will queue.

Thanks, both.