Subject: Re: rebase update-refs can delete ref branch

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 19:40:15 +0900

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks for digging the history.  It is unfortunate that, even though
> the fix exactly identifies b3b1a21d (sequencer: rewrite update-refs
> as user edits todo list, 2022-07-19) as the culprit and it is trivial
> to see that was shipped as part of Git 2.38, the fix was not queued
> to allow merging 44da9e0841 into 2.38.x maintenance track, so it is
> unlikely to appear in any 2.38.x maintenance releases we might issue
> in the future.

Well, I changed my mind.  Let's bite the bullet and cherry-pick the
single patch, just for this once (as a general principle, I hate
cherry-picking and try to avoid unless the fix is absolutely needed).

This is primarily because we have enough material to prepare for
Git 2.38.2 already accumulated on the 'maint' front, all from the
bugfixes merged to 'master' for the upcoming Git 2.39.

I'd plan to tag 2.38.2 and 2.39 at the same time on coming Monday,
but note that I am operating in Asia/Tokyo timezone, so it may be
Sunday for many folks in the western hemisphere.