Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Nov 2022, #07; Tue, 29)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 12:53:36 +0900

Teng Long <[email-masked]> writes:

>> * tl/pack-bitmap-absolute-paths (2022-11-29) 4 commits
>>  - pack-bitmap.c: trace bitmap ignore logs when midx-bitmap is found
>>  - pack-bitmap.c: break out of the bitmap loop early if not tracing
>>   (merged to 'next' on 2022-11-14 at 34eb0ea05a)
>
> Will the two commits which merged to 'next' on 2022-11-14 at 34eb0ea05a
> be taken into 2.39.0-rc0 (or v2.39.0 is frozen already)? 

2.39-rc0 was a preview of topics that were already done at that
point about a week ago.  A topic that is not in -rc0 may hit the
release, but it depends on how urgent the "fix" is, I would say.
Unless there is a good reason not to, any topic should spend at
least a week to cook in 'next' before graduating, and because there
typically is about a week between -rc0 and -rc1, anything outside
'next' when -rc0 was tagged is not likely to have spent a week in
'next' when -rc1 is done.

We could graduate the early bits separately, but is it so urgent a
fix to get them in?

I spent a few dozens of minutes to re-read these two patches, and
while I do not think they are so complex and risky, I did not see
anything in them to give them such an urgency (for that matter, I
am not sure if they are even necessary, especially the one that
loses information from the logs).

Thanks.