Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] RFC: mergetool: new config guiDefault supports auto-toggling gui by DISPLAY

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 22:50:58 -0700

Tao Klerks <[email-masked]> writes:

>>  * If the command line says --gui or --no-gui that makes the setting
>>    irrelevant, it is OK for us to give a warning to remind the user
>>    that they may want to fix the spelling of the variable, but
>>    otherwise go ahead and perform the action as they asked us to.
>
> In the current implementation, there is no warning if the choice has
> been explicitly made - there is no reason to check the configured
> default under such circumstances.

Yeah, not making any noise is better.  I only meant that if the
implementation warns in this irrelevant case, it is OK (aka
"acceptable, not necessarily desired") as long as it does not stop.

>>  * If the command line lacks --gui or --no-gui, we do need to have a
>>    usable value in the configuration, and we should error out
>>    without spawning either gui or no-gui tool backend.
>
> This is *not* the current behavior - currently an error is printed,
> but execution continues with a no-gui default. I will correct this.

Sounds good.

> 'difftool.guidefault' - must be boolean or 'auto'", we get the
> *default* error message for *boolean* config settings: "fatal: bad
> boolean config value 'autod' for 'difftool.guidefault'".

Yeah, I do not think it is a problem, and it is not misleading, as
long as the user knows how to ask further information with "git
difftool --help" and the help page says what the acceptable values
are other than Boolean yes/no.

Thanks.