Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] Add Eclipse project settings files to .gitignore

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 11:17:52 -0700

"brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> location).  For example, I do this with Vim-related files, and it
> applies to all repos on my system, such that other developers don't have
> to care what editor I use.
>
> However, Eclipse is a popular editor, so it may be that Junio really
> likes this change since it will benefit many people.

I am all for making new contributor's life better, and in this case,
NOT adding editor-specific patterns to OUR .gitignore contributes
better for that goal.  It will be a shame for us to make a move that
will keep our contributors unaware of what they can do with Git, and
in this case, lack of Eclipse specific patterns did trigger Sergio
to notice that these are not ignored, and learn that a better place
to do so is in $HOME/.gitignore, because it will help not only when
the contributor works on Git, but when the same contributor works on
anything using Eclipse.  Adding editor-specific patterns ourselves
robs such a learning opportunity from new contributors.

Thanks.