Subject: Re: any real-world SHA-256 repo users out there?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 15:40:07 -0700

<[email-masked]> writes:

>>I have some indefinite plans to improve the support for
>>SHA-1/SHA-256 interop in the future, as well as port SHA-256
>>support to libgit2, but those are dependent on some things which
>>are not certain (but very likely) to occur.

That is encouraging to hear.

SHA-256 interop is one of the things I want to see appear sooner
rather than later (it would be what I would answer to the popular
"Git Rev News" question, if I were interviewed).  I certainly would
want it to materialize before I retire ;-)

>>I strongly encourage folks to add SHA-256 repository support to
>>tooling since it's likely going to become more popular in the
>>future.  I have some local SHA-256 repositories on my systems and
>>they appear to work fine.
>
> Our tooling works correctly regardless of the choice of SHA-256,
> but have been waiting for GitHub et. al., to provide
> capabilities. I would welcome interoperability. What help do you
> need?