Subject: Re: SubmittingPatchs: clarify choice of base and testing

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 10:00:13 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Perhaps there needs some rewording to clarify that the sentence is
> referring to that case.

So, I came up with this incremental clarification.  I'd wait for
other comments before moving the topic further.

 Documentation/SubmittingPatches | 8 +++++---
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git c/Documentation/SubmittingPatches w/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
index 2de8f80dc5..aea01bf36b 100644
--- c/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
+++ w/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
@@ -280,9 +280,11 @@ Please make sure your patch does not add commented out debugging code,
 or include any extra files which do not relate to what your patch
 is trying to achieve. Make sure to review
 your patch after generating it, to ensure accuracy.  Before
-sending out, please make sure it cleanly applies to the `master`
-branch head.  If you are preparing a work based on selected topics
-merged to `master`, please mark your patch as such.
+sending out, please make sure it cleanly applies to the base you
+have chosen in the "Decide what to base your work on" section,
+and unless it targets the `master` branch (which is the default),
+mark your patches as such.
+
 
 [[send-patches]]
 === Sending your patches.