Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] po/README: document PO helper

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 22:03:51 -0800

Jiang Xin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Bagas Sanjaya <[email-masked]> 于2021年3月11日周四 下午8:56写道：
>>
>> Document about PO helper script (po-helper.sh). It covers about
>> installing the script and short usage examples.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Bagas Sanjaya <[email-masked]>
>> ---
>>  po/README | 22 ++++++++++++++++++++++
>>  1 file changed, 22 insertions(+)
>>
>> diff --git a/po/README b/po/README
>> index efd5baaf1d..9beffc2954 100644
>> --- a/po/README
>> +++ b/po/README
>> @@ -286,3 +286,25 @@ Testing marked strings
>>
>>  Git's tests are run under LANG=C LC_ALL=C. So the tests do not need be
>>  changed to account for translations as they're added.
>> +
>> +
>> +PO Helper
>> +---------
>> +
>> +To make maintaining XX.po file easier, the l10n coordinator created
>> +po-helper.sh script. It is wrapper to gettext suite, specifically
>
> It's better to rename the script to other name without the suffix
> ".sh", so we can reimplement it in other programming language. Maybe
> we can rename it to `git-po-helper`, and host this helper in a
> separate project on GitHub.

It might be a good move in the longer term, but if the po-helper.sh
is working well enough to fill the need of i18n/l10n team right now,
I think documenting the status quo would be a good way to help the
contributors immediately.

And when we reimplement it (if that is desirable---I have no opinion
myself), we certainly would want to update this part of the doc to
use the name of the rewritten tool.

In any case, I expect that you to be the main reviewer on this topic
and you will feed me the final commits, just like any other change
in the po/* area via a pull request.  In other words, I may have
input to the discussion on list, but I won't be applying the result
myself---I'll be pulling from git://github.com/git-l10n/git-po.git
repository instead.

Thanks.