Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Check .gitmodules when using packfile URIs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 22:29:25 -0800

Jonathan Tan <[email-masked]> writes:

> As part of this, index-pack has to output (1) the hash that goes into
> the name of the .pack/.idx file and (2) the hashes of all dangling
> .gitmodules. I just had (2) come after (1). If anyone has a better idea,
> I'm interested.

I have this feeling that the "blobs that need to be validated across
packs" will *not* be the last enhancement we'd need to make to the
output from index-pack to allow richer communication between it and
its invoker.  While there is no reason to change how the first line
of the output looks like, we'd probably want to make sure that the
future versions of Git can easily tell "list of blobs that require
further validation" from other additional information.

I am not comfortable to recommend "ok, then let's add a delimiter
line '---\n' if/when we need to have something after the list of
blobs and append more stuff in future versions of Git", because we
may find need to emit new kinds of info before the list of blobs
that needs further validation, for example, in future versions of
Git.

Having said all that, the internal communication between the
index-pack and its caller do not need as much care about
compatibility across versions as output visible to end-users, so
when a future version of Git needs to send different kinds of
information in different order from what you created here, we can do
so pretty much freely, I would guess.

Thanks.