Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/2] Retire git-parse-remote

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 13:25:57 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 12:31:53PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> This is based on Ævar's 5-patch series, which removed unused bits
>> from git-parse-remote one by one, before finally moving the remnant
>> to the only user to remove the file.
>> 
>> Earlier I suggested an alternative arrangement of the series to just
>> lift what is still in use and then discard the rest without even
>> splitting them out into separate commits---it is easy to see what's
>> not used by grepping for names of the helper functions.
>
> FWIW, this arrangement makes much more sense to me. But I am happy with
> either (as long as the file is fully deleted in the end ;) ).

Yeah, one thing I screwed up was that I moved and not copied the
still-used helper in [1/2].  For that to be a sensible change, we
must know nobody uses the helper from git-parse-remote but the
explanation for it would say that nothing dot-sources it and at that
point there is no point to have these changes in two patches ;-)

But as long as the endgame state is sensible, it does not make too
much of a difference.