Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/4] blame: validate and peel the object names on the ignore list

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 09:54:59 -0700

René Scharfe <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>> This preexisting feature is curious.  It's even documented ('An
>>>> empty file name, "", will clear the list of revs from previously
>>>> processed files.') and covered by t8013.6.  Why would we need
>>>> such magic in addition to the standard negation
>>>> (--no-ignore-revs-file) for clearing the list?  The latter
>>>> counters blame.ignoreRevsFile as well. *puzzled*
>>>
>>> I shared the puzzlement when I saw it, but ditto.
>>
>> I don't recall exactly.  Someone on the list might have wanted to
>> both counter the blame.ignoreRevsFile and specify another file.  Or
>> maybe they just wanted to counter the ignoreRevsFile, and I didn't
>> know that --no- would already do that.  I'm certainly not wed to it.
>
> The first step would be to show a deprecation warning, wait a few
> releases and then remove that feature.  Not sure the effort and
> potential user irritation is worth the saved conditional, doc lines
> and test.  (We already established that I'm lazy.)

I do not particularly see the need to.  Perhaps when somebody
complains the next time?

> Anyway, here's the patch:
> ---
>  blame.c         |  2 +-
>  blame.h         |  5 +++--
>  builtin/blame.c | 16 ++++++++++++----
>  object.h        |  3 ++-
>  4 files changed, 18 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)

Looks OK to me from a quick scan.