Subject: Re: [RFC WIP PATCH v8 00/13] learn --keep-base & more

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 12:57:22 +0900

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> This is a WIP series I have that I figured I'd send out as-is for
> comment since Junio said he'd be merging dl/rebase-i-keep-base down.
>
> So I wanted to test it, and as seen early in this series in 3/13 and
> 4/13 we had significant blindspots in our tests, i.e. there were no
> tests for whether --no-ff bypassed the amended logic as it should.
>
> As seen from those tests we may have some bugs here, either existing
> or new, needs more poking at it.

Thanks.  I am actually OK to keep dl/rebase-i-keep-base out of
'next' to iron out the kinks.  It's not like we are in a hurry to
deliber an important fix to our users---the topic is adding a new
feature and attempting to fix a minor irritation (i.e. lost
opportunity to fast-forward).

> Then in 9/13 and 10/13 I re-added the incomplete patches I had in
> https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/
> to see if my tests passed with Denton's --fork-point code, they
> do. Yay!
>
> Left them there because I was wondering if I needed to port some/all
> of the tests over, and maybe amend a commit message to reword some of
> my findings in
> https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/
>
> Then I have 11/13 and 12/13 which seem pretty sensible to me as-is,
> and finally I wanted --preserve-merges and --rebase-merges to also
> benefit from this logic, so 13/13 is a WIP patch for that. The code
> should be done (although maybe there's a better way to do it...), but
> it needs a better commit message & tests.