Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] merge: add a --signoff flag.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 00:34:53 -0700

lukaszgryglicki <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> +--signoff::
>>> +	Add Signed-off-by line by the committer at the end of the commit
>>> +	log message.  The meaning of a signoff depends on the project,
>>> +	but it typically certifies that committer has
>>> +	the rights to submit this work under the same license and
>>> +	agrees to a Developer Certificate of Origin
>>> +	(see http://developercertificate.org/ for more information).
>> 
>> This is taken verbatim from Documentation/git-commit.txt and "this
>> work" in that context is entirely sensible, but it is not quite
>> clear what it means in the context of "git merge”.
>
> Changed slightly, but I’m not a native English speaker, and
> don’t really see what is wrong there.

Oh, the language is not the issue.  

I was trying to remind you that a "merge" may be an automated and
mechanical one, in which there is no original work that requires
signing it off in the first place, which was the point Ævar raised
when Dan's original post came up.