Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/34] Teach the sequencer to act as rebase -i's backend

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 11:42:31 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> This marks the count down to '3': two more patch series after this
> (really tiny ones) and we have a faster rebase -i.

Nice.

> Apart from mostly cosmetic patches (and the occasional odd bug that I
> fixed promptly), I used these patches since mid May to perform all of my
> interactive rebases. In mid June, I had the idea to teach rebase -i to
> run *both* scripted rebase and rebase--helper and to cross-validate the
> results. This slowed down all my interactive rebases since, but helped
> me catch three rather obscure bugs (e.g. that git commit --fixup unfolds
> long onelines and rebase -i still finds the correct original commit).
> ...
> Please note that the interdiff vs v1 is only of limited use: too many
> things changed in the meantime, in particular the prepare-sequencer
> branch that went through a couple of iterations before it found its way
> into git.git's master branch. So please take the interdiff with a
> mountain range of salt.
> ...
> Changes since v1:
> ...
> - removed the beautiful ordinal logic (to print out "1st", "2nd", "3rd"
>   etc) and made things consistent with the current `rebase -i`.

It was removed because it was too Anglo-centric and unusable in i18n
context, no?

Judging from the list above, interdiff are pretty much all cosmetic
and that is why you say it is only of limited use, I guess.

    ... goes and reads the remainder and finds that these were
    ... all minor changes, mostly cosmetic, with a helper function
    ... refactored out or two and things of that nature.

It is actually a good thing.  We do not want to see it deviate too
drastically from what you have been testing for some months.

Thanks.