Subject: Re: Issue with global config defaults "user.useConfigOnly = true" + "pull.rebase = preserve" - "user.email"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 11:20:49 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Dakota Hawkins <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> In those cases specifically, I never have local commits that differ
>> from the remote, so a "pull --ff-only" should leave me in the same
>> state as a "pull --rebase".
>>
>> Is this a case of rebase trying to make sure it has enough information
>> for me to be a committer before knowing whether I even need to rewrite
>> any commits, and could/should that be avoided?  Alternatively (or also)
>> could/should rebase detect that a fast-forward is possible and prefer
>> to do that instead?
>
> I think that is a reasonable argument,...

There is one that still wants to know who you are, I think.  The
reflog entries record who moved the tip of the ref and when, and
obviously a fast-forward is also recorded.

I _think_ our intention was to allow a bogus ident in reflog entries
(even though we want to avoid a bogus ident in commits and tags), so
perhaps additional code/logic for user.useConfigOnly may need to know
about that (I didn't dig)?