Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/4] builtin/interpret-trailers.c: allow -t

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 10:26:33 -0700

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I am in principle OK with the later step that teaches a single
>> letter option to end-user facing "git am" that would be turned into
>> "--trailer" when it calls out to "interpret-trailers" (I haven't
>> checked if 't' is a sensible choice for that single letter option,
>> though).
>
> If 'am' has -t == --trailer, I think it makes sense to have the same
> shortcut in interpret-trailers for consistency.

It is the other way around.  "git am" may be OK with "-t" (or it may
not--I do not know yet), but other commands that are currently
unaware of "interpret-trailers" (cherry-pick, revert, etc.) may have
better uses for a short-and-sweet 't'.

In the ideal future, "interpret-trailers" should not have to exist
in the end-users' vocabulary, as all the front-line end-user facing
programs would be aware of it.  But we are not there.

Letting it reserve a short-and-sweet 't' that allows it to dictate
that its callers must have the same 't' is tail wagging the dog that
I want to avoid.