Subject: Re: Diff filename has trailing tab if filename contains space

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 16:32:00 -0800

乙酸鋰 <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Using git 2.7.1
>
> Diff filename has trailing tab if filename contains space

Thanks; that is very much deliberate and has been with us forever.

commit 1a9eb3b9d50367bee8fe85022684d812816fe531
Author: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date:   Fri Sep 22 16:17:58 2006 -0700

    git-diff/git-apply: make diff output a bit friendlier to GNU patch (part 2)
    
    Somebody was wondering on #git channel why a git generated diff
    does not apply with GNU patch when the filename contains a SP.
    It is because GNU patch expects to find TAB (and trailing timestamp)
    on ---/+++ (old_name and new_name) lines after the filenames.
    
    The "diff --git" output format was carefully designed to be
    compatible with GNU patch where it can, but whitespace
    characters were always a pain.
    
    This adds an extra TAB (but not trailing timestamp) to old_name
    and new_name lines of git-diff output when the filename has a SP
    in it.  An earlier patch updated git-apply to prepare for this.
    
    Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>