Subject: Re: [bug] Graph log and orphan branches

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 13:24:40 -0800

Dennis Kaarsemaker <[email-masked]> writes:

> On wo, 2015-12-30 at 11:54 -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Carlos Pita <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > the graph output of log show orphan branches in a way that suggests
>> > they have a parent.
>> 
>> Reminds me of this ancient RFH topic
>> 
>>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/236708/focus
>> =239580
>> 
>> which unfortunately got no help...
>
> Instead of a blank line, why not something like this to make root
> commits stand out a bit?
>

That approach will lose information when a root commit is at the
boundary, marked as uninteresting, or on the left/right side of
traversal (when --left-right is requested).  As these pieces of
information that will be lost with such an approach are a lot more
relevant than "have we hit the root?", especially in the majority of
repositories where there is only one root commit, I do not think it
is acceptable.