Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.6.4

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 15:09:16 -0800

The latest maintenance release Git v2.6.4 is now available at
the usual places, with a handful of fixes that are already in
the 'master' front.

The tarballs are found at:

    https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/

The following public repositories all have a copy of the 'v2.6.4'
tag and the 'maint' branch that the tag points at:

  url = https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/git/git
  url = git://repo.or.cz/alt-git.git
  url = git://git.sourceforge.jp/gitroot/git-core/git.git
  url = git://git-core.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/git-core/git-core
  url = https://github.com/gitster/git

----------------------------------------------------------------

Git v2.6.4 Release Notes
========================

Fixes since v2.6.3
------------------

 * The "configure" script did not test for -lpthread correctly, which
   upset some linkers.

 * Add support for talking http/https over socks proxy.

 * Portability fix for Windows, which may rewrite $SHELL variable using
   non-POSIX paths.

 * We now consistently allow all hooks to ignore their standard input,
   rather than having git complain of SIGPIPE.

 * Fix shell quoting in contrib script.

 * Test portability fix for a topic in v2.6.1.

 * Allow tilde-expansion in some http config variables.

 * Give a useful special case "diff/show --word-diff-regex=." as an
   example in the documentation.

 * Fix for a corner case in filter-branch.

 * Make git-p4 work on a detached head.

 * Documentation clarification for "check-ignore" without "--verbose".

 * Just like the working tree is cleaned up when the user cancelled
   submission in P4Submit.applyCommit(), clean up the mess if "p4
   submit" fails.

 * Having a leftover .idx file without corresponding .pack file in
   the repository hurts performance; "git gc" learned to prune them.

 * The code to prepare the working tree side of temporary directory
   for the "dir-diff" feature forgot that symbolic links need not be
   copied (or symlinked) to the temporary area, as the code already
   special cases and overwrites them.  Besides, it was wrong to try
   computing the object name of the target of symbolic link, which may
   not even exist or may be a directory.

 * There was no way to defeat a configured rebase.autostash variable
   from the command line, as "git rebase --no-autostash" was missing.

 * Allow "git interpret-trailers" to run outside of a Git repository.

 * Produce correct "dirty" marker for shell prompts, even when we
   are on an orphan or an unborn branch.

 * Some corner cases have been fixed in string-matching done in "git
   status".

 * Apple's common crypto implementation of SHA1_Update() does not take
   more than 4GB at a time, and we now have a compile-time workaround
   for it.

Also contains typofixes, documentation updates and trivial code
clean-ups.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Changes since v2.6.3 are as follows:

Atousa Pahlevan Duprat (2):
      sha1: provide another level of indirection for the SHA-1 functions
      sha1: allow limiting the size of the data passed to SHA1_Update()

Charles Bailey (1):
      http: treat config options sslCAPath and sslCAInfo as paths

Christian Couder (1):
      Documentation/git-update-index: add missing opts to synopsys

Clemens Buchacher (1):
      allow hooks to ignore their standard input stream

Daniel Knittl-Frank (1):
      Escape Git's exec path in contrib/rerere-train.sh script

David Aguilar (1):
      difftool: ignore symbolic links in use_wt_file

Dennis Kaarsemaker (2):
      t5813: avoid creating urls that break on cygwin
      check-ignore: correct documentation about output

Doug Kelly (2):
      t5304: test cleaning pack garbage
      gc: remove garbage .idx files from pack dir

Fredrik Medley (1):
      rebase-i-exec: Allow space in SHELL_PATH

GIRARD Etienne (1):
      git-p4: clean up after p4 submit failure

John Keeping (3):
      interpret-trailers: allow running outside a repository
      rebase: support --no-autostash
      Documentation/git-rebase: fix --no-autostash formatting

Junio C Hamano (3):
      prepare_packed_git(): refactor garbage reporting in pack directory
      Prepare for 2.6.4
      Git 2.6.4

Luke Diamand (3):
      git-p4: add failing test for submit from detached head
      git-p4: add option to system() to return subshell status
      git-p4: work with a detached head

Michael J Gruber (1):
      Documentation/diff: give --word-diff-regex=. example

Pat Thoyts (1):
      remote-http(s): support SOCKS proxies

Rainer M. Canavan (1):
      configure.ac: use $LIBS not $CFLAGS when testing -lpthread

René Scharfe (1):
      wt-status: correct and simplify check for detached HEAD

SZEDER Gábor (4):
      bash prompt: test dirty index and worktree while on an orphan branch
      bash prompt: remove a redundant 'git diff' option
      bash prompt: indicate dirty index even on orphan branches
      filter-branch: deal with object name vs. pathname ambiguity in tree-filter

Андрей Рыбак (1):
      Documentation: make environment variable formatting more consistent