Subject: What's cooking in git.git (Dec 2015, #02; Fri, 4)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2015 15:15:58 -0800

Here are the topics that have been cooking.  Commits prefixed with
'-' are only in 'pu' (proposed updates) while commits prefixed with
'+' are in 'next'.

A big thank-you to Peff for managing the list traffic during my
absence for the past few weeks.  I think my tree is now back in
shape and I started merging a handful of topics to 'next' and
'master'.  What's in 'master' plus just a few trivial topics in
'next' should be pretty much "it" for the upcoming release.

You can find the normal integration branches at:

    https://github.com/git/git/

and all topic branches at:

    https://github.com/peff/git/

But note that I will _not_ be pushing to kernel.org.

--------------------------------------------------
[Graduated to "master"]

* ad/sha1-update-chunked (2015-11-05) 2 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-12-01 at a22bf47)
 + sha1: allow limiting the size of the data passed to SHA1_Update()
 + sha1: provide another level of indirection for the SHA-1 functions

 Apple's common crypto implementation of SHA1_Update() does not take
 more than 4GB at a time, and we now have a compile-time workaround
 for it.

* jk/filter-branch-no-index (2015-11-06) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-11-24 at e31946e)
 + filter-branch: skip index read/write when possible

 Speed up filter-branch for cases where we only care about rewriting
 commits, not tree data.

* jk/send-email-complete-aliases (2015-11-20) 2 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-11-24 at a50094f)
 + completion: add support for completing email aliases
 + sendemail: teach git-send-email to dump alias names

 Teach send-email to dump mail aliases, so that we can do tab completion
 on the command line.

* np/credential-cache-sighup (2015-11-20) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-11-24 at 410167f)
 + credential-cache: new option to ignore sighup

 Workaround for using credential-cache with emacs.

* rs/parseopt-short-help (2015-11-20) 5 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-11-24 at f22b6e0)
 + show-ref: stop using PARSE_OPT_NO_INTERNAL_HELP
 + grep: stop using PARSE_OPT_NO_INTERNAL_HELP
 + parse-options: allow -h as a short option
 + parse-options: inline parse_options_usage() at its only remaining caller
 + parse-options: deduplicate parse_options_usage() calls

 Make "-h" command line option work more consistently in all commands.

* sg/bash-prompt-dirty-orphan (2015-11-24) 3 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-11-24 at ac6eb1c)
 + bash prompt: indicate dirty index even on orphan branches
 + bash prompt: remove a redundant 'git diff' option
 + bash prompt: test dirty index and worktree while on an orphan branch

 Produce correct "dirty" marker for shell prompts, even when we
 are on an orphan or an unborn branch.

--------------------------------------------------
[New Topics]

* cb/t3404-shellquote (2015-12-04) 1 commit
 - t3404: fix quoting of redirect for some versions of bash

 Will merge to 'next'.

* nd/clear-gitenv-upon-use-of-alias (2015-12-04) 2 commits
 - setup.c: re-fix d95138e (setup: set env $GIT_WORK_TREE when ..
 - git.c: make it clear save_env() is for alias handling only

 d95138e6 (setup: set env $GIT_WORK_TREE when work tree is set, like
 $GIT_DIR, 2015-06-26) attempted to work around a glitch in alias
 handling by overwriting GIT_WORK_TREE environment variable to
 affect subprocesses when set_git_work_tree() gets called, which
 resulted in a rather unpleasant regression to "clone" and "init".
 Try to address the same issue by always restoring the environment
 and respawning the real underlying command when handling alias.

 Waiting for review.

* nd/doc-check-ref-format-typo (2015-12-04) 1 commit
 - git-check-ref-format.txt: typo, s/avoids/avoid/

 Will merge to 'next'.

* sb/doc-submodule-sync-recursive (2015-12-04) 1 commit
 - document submodule sync --recursive

 Will merge to 'next'.

--------------------------------------------------
[Stalled]

* nd/ita-cleanup (2015-09-06) 6 commits
 - grep: make it clear i-t-a entries are ignored
 - checkout(-index): do not checkout i-t-a entries
 - apply: make sure check_preimage() does not leave empty file on error
 - apply: fix adding new files on i-t-a entries
 - add and use a convenience macro ce_intent_to_add()
 - blame: remove obsolete comment

 Paths that have been told the index about with "add -N" are not yet
 in the index, but various commands behaved as if they already are.

 Some commits need better explanation.

 Waiting for a reroll.

* mg/httpd-tests-update-for-apache-2.4 (2015-04-08) 2 commits
 - t/lib-git-svn: check same httpd module dirs as lib-httpd
 - t/lib-httpd: load mod_unixd

 This is the first two commits in a three-patch series $gmane/266962

 Becoming tired of waiting for a reroll.
 with updated log message ($gmane/268061).

* wp/sha1-name-negative-match (2015-06-08) 2 commits
 - sha1_name.c: introduce '^{/!-<negative pattern>}' notation
 - test for '!' handling in rev-parse's named commits

 Introduce "branch^{/!-<pattern>}" notation to name a commit
 reachable from branch that does not match the given pattern.

 Becoming tired of waiting for a reroll.
 ($gmane/271213).

* ak/format-patch-odir-config (2015-06-19) 1 commit
 - format-patch: introduce format.outputDirectory configuration

 Reroll exists but didn't pick it up as it seemed to be still
 collecting review comments.

 Becoming tired of waiting for a reroll.
 ($gmane/272180).

* jc/diff-b-m (2015-02-23) 5 commits
 . WIPWIP
 . WIP: diff-b-m
 - diffcore-rename: allow easier debugging
 - diffcore-rename.c: add locate_rename_src()
 - diffcore-break: allow debugging

 "git diff -B -M" produced incorrect patch when the postimage of a
 completely rewritten file is similar to the preimage of a removed
 file; such a resulting file must not be expressed as a rename from
 other place.

 The fix in this patch is broken, unfortunately.

--------------------------------------------------
[Cooking]

* bc/object-id (2015-11-20) 12 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-12-04 at 2d3f5f2)
 + remote: convert functions to struct object_id
 + Remove get_object_hash.
 + Convert struct object to object_id
 + Add several uses of get_object_hash.
 + object: introduce get_object_hash macro.
 + ref_newer: convert to use struct object_id
 + push_refs_with_export: convert to struct object_id
 + get_remote_heads: convert to struct object_id
 + parse_fetch: convert to use struct object_id
 + add_sought_entry_mem: convert to struct object_id
 + Convert struct ref to use object_id.
 + sha1_file: introduce has_object_file helper.

 More transition from "unsigned char[40]" to "struct object_id".

 This needed a few merge fixups, but is mostly disentangled from other
 topics.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* dt/fsck-verify-pack-error (2015-12-01) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-12-04 at fbd82d1)
 + verify_pack: do not ignore return value of verification function

 The exit code of git-fsck would not reflect some types of errors found
 in packed objects.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* kn/ref-filter-atom-parsing (2015-12-01) 10 commits
 - ref-filter: introduce objectname_atom_parser()
 - ref-filter: introduce contents_atom_parser()
 - ref-filter: introduce remote_ref_atom_parser()
 - ref-filter: introduce align_atom_parser()
 - strbuf: introduce strbuf_split_str_without_term()
 - ref-filter: introduce color_atom_parser()
 - ref-filter: skip deref specifier in match_atom_name()
 - ref-fitler: bump match_atom() name to the top
 - ref-filter: introduce struct used_atom
 - ref-filter: introduce a parsing function for each atom in valid_atom

 Refactoring of ref-filter's format-parsing code, in preparation
 for "branch --format" and friends.

 This replaces (for now) kn/for-each-ref-remainder, which will be built
 on top.

 Waiting for review.

* ls/travis-yaml (2015-11-28) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-12-04 at e7852e1)
 + Add Travis CI support

 Provides the necessary infrastructure to build topics using the free
 Travis CI. Developers forking from this topic (and enabling Travis) can
 do their own builds, and we can turn on auto-builds for git/git
 (including build-status for pull requests that people open).

 I'm inclined to merge this up, as the worst case is that it becomes
 dormant cruft in the repository root.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* rs/status-detached-head-memcmp (2015-11-28) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-12-04 at 60232db)
 + wt-status: correct and simplify check for detached HEAD

 Fix some string-matching corner cases when digging in the reflog for
 "git status".

 Will merge to 'master' and then 'maint'.

* sg/lock-file-commit-error (2015-12-01) 1 commit
 - Make error message after failing commit_lock_file() less confusing

 Cosmetic improvement to lock-file error messages.

 Comments on the new messages?

 Will merge to 'next' after giving time for bikeshedding.

* bb/merge-marker-crlf (2015-11-24) 1 commit
 - merge-file: consider core.crlf when writing merge markers

 Write out merge markers using system end-of-line convention.

 Waiting for a re-roll to handle gitattributes.
 ($gmane/281701)

* dk/gc-more-wo-pack (2015-11-24) 3 commits
 - gc: Clean garbage .bitmap files from pack dir
 - t5304: Add test for .bitmap garbage files
 - prepare_packed_git(): find more garbage

 Follow-on to dk/gc-idx-wo-pack topic, to clean up stale
 .bitmap and .keep files.

 Waiting for review.

* jk/send-email-ssl-errors (2015-11-24) 1 commit
 - send-email: enable SSL level 1 debug output

 Improve error reporting when SMTP TLS fails.

 Waiting for a reroll.
 ($gmane/281693)

* ps/rebase-keep-empty (2015-11-24) 2 commits
 - rebase: fix preserving commits with --keep-empty
 - rebase: test broken behavior with --keep-empty

 Keep duplicate commits via rebase --keep-empty.

 I'm not sure if I agree with this interpretation of the "rebase
 --keep-empty" documentation, but I haven't thought too hard about it.
 Comments welcome.

 Waiting for review.

* rm/subtree-unwrap-tags (2015-11-24) 1 commit
 - contrib/subtree: unwrap tag refs

 Waiting for review from subtree folks.

* sg/sh-require-clean-orphan (2015-11-24) 2 commits
 - sh-setup: make require_clean_work_tree() work on orphan branches
 - Add tests for git-sh-setup's require_clean_work_tree()

 Allow users of git-sh-setup to handle orphan branch state.

 This series takes the conservative route of requiring scripts to opt
 into the looser behavior, at the expense of carrying around a new
 option-flag forever. I'm not sure if we need to do so. Comments
 welcome.

* tb/ls-files-eol (2015-11-28) 2 commits
 - convert.c: mark a file-local function static
 - ls-files: Add eol diagnostics

 Add options to ls-files to help diagnose end-of-line problems.

 This latest round hasn't gotten any review yet.

 Waiting for review.

* ec/annotate-deleted (2015-11-20) 1 commit
 - annotate: skip checking working tree if a revision is provided

 Usability fix for annotate-specific "<file> <rev>" syntax with deleted
 files.

 Waiting for review.

* ls/test-must-fail-sigpipe (2015-11-28) 2 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-12-01 at d374686)
 + add "ok=sigpipe" to test_must_fail and use it to fix flaky tests
 + implement test_might_fail using a refactored test_must_fail

 Fix some racy client/server tests by treating SIGPIPE the same as a
 normal non-zero exit.

 Will merge to 'master' by -rc0.

* mc/push-recurse-submodules-config (2015-12-04) 3 commits
 - push: follow the "last one wins" convention for --recurse-submodules
 - push: test that --recurse-submodules on command line overrides config
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-11-24 at 3644d4b)
 + push: add recurseSubmodules config option

 Add new config to avoid typing "--recurse-submodules" on each push.

 Waiting for review from submodule folks.

* dt/refs-backend-pre-vtable (2015-11-20) 10 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-11-24 at 8fd7293)
 + refs: break out ref conflict checks
 + files_log_ref_write: new function
 + initdb: make safe_create_dir public
 + refs: split filesystem-based refs code into a new file
 + refs/refs-internal.h: new header file
 + refname_is_safe(): improve docstring
 + pack_if_possible_fn(): use ref_type() instead of is_per_worktree_ref()
 + copy_msg(): rename to copy_reflog_msg()
 + verify_refname_available(): new function
 + verify_refname_available(): rename function

 Code preparation for pluggable ref backends.

 Will merge to 'master' by -rc0.

* vl/grep-configurable-threads (2015-12-04) 1 commit
 . grep: add --threads=<num> option and grep.threads configuration

 "git grep" can now be configured (or told from the command line)
 how many threads to use when searching in the working tree files.

 There was some review from Eric.  Also this seems to break a test.

 Waiting for a reroll, or at least a response.
 ($gmane/281160)

* kf/http-proxy-auth-methods (2015-11-04) 3 commits
 . SQUASH???
 . http: use credential API to handle proxy authentication
 . http: allow selection of proxy authentication method

 New http.proxyAuthMethod configuration variable can be used to
 specify what authentication method to use, as a way to work around
 proxies that do not give error response expected by libcurl when
 CURLAUTH_ANY is used.  Also, the codepath for proxy authentication
 has been taught to use credential API to store the authentication
 material in user's keyrings.

 I ejected this from pu for the moment, as it conflicts with the
 pt/http-socks-proxy topic. That is now in master, so it can
 be re-rolled on top.

 Still being worked on.
 ($gmane/280925)

* sb/submodule-parallel-update (2015-11-20) 27 commits
 - clone: allow an explicit argument for parallel submodule clones
 - submodule update: expose parallelism to the user
 - git submodule update: have a dedicated helper for cloning
 - fetching submodules: respect `submodule.jobs` config option
 - submodule-config: introduce parse_generic_submodule_config
 - submodule-config: remove name_and_item_from_var
 - submodule-config: drop check against NULL
 - submodule-config: keep update strategy around
 - run_processes_parallel: delimit intermixed task output
 - Merge branch 'rs/daemon-plug-child-leak' into sb/submodule-parallel-update
 - Merge branch 'sb/submodule-parallel-fetch' into sb/submodule-parallel-update
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-11-20 at 89fc723)
 + strbuf: update documentation for strbuf_read_once()
 + run-command: remove set_nonblocking()
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-10-23 at 8f04bbd)
 + run-command: fix missing output from late callbacks
 + test-run-command: increase test coverage
 + test-run-command: test for gracefully aborting
 + run-command: initialize the shutdown flag
 + run-command: clear leftover state from child_process structure
 + run-command: fix early shutdown
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-10-15 at df63590)
 + submodules: allow parallel fetching, add tests and documentation
 + fetch_populated_submodules: use new parallel job processing
 + run-command: add an asynchronous parallel child processor
 + sigchain: add command to pop all common signals
 + strbuf: add strbuf_read_once to read without blocking
 + xread_nonblock: add functionality to read from fds without blocking
 + xread: poll on non blocking fds
 + submodule.c: write "Fetching submodule <foo>" to stderr
 (this branch is tangled with sb/submodule-parallel-fetch.)

 Builds on top of the "fetch --recurse-submodules" work to introduce
 parallel downloading into multiple submodules for "submodule update".

 Waiting for sb/submodule-parallel-fetch to stabilize.

 It would be the cleanest to rebuild sb/submodule-parallel-fetch on
 top of 2.7.0 once it ships and then build this directly on top;
 that way, we do not have to have merges in this topic that
 distracting (besides, some part of the other topic can be updated
 in-place instead of this follow-up topic tweaking them as past
 mistakes and inflexibilities).

 I picked up v4 from the list, but it needs review.

* jc/strbuf-gets (2015-10-28) 17 commits
 - test-sha1-array: read command stream with strbuf_gets()
 - grep: read -f file with strbuf_gets()
 - send-pack: read list of refs with strbuf_gets()
 - column: read lines with strbuf_gets()
 - cat-file: read batch stream with strbuf_gets()
 - transport-helper: read helper response with strbuf_gets()
 - clone/sha1_file: read info/alternates with strbuf_gets()
 - remote.c: read $GIT_DIR/remotes/* with strbuf_gets()
 - ident.c: read /etc/mailname with strbuf_gets()
 - rev-parse: read parseopt spec with strbuf_gets()
 - revision: read --stdin with strbuf_gets()
 - hash-object: read --stdin-paths with strbuf_gets()
 - mktree: read textual tree representation with strbuf_gets()
 - update-index: read list of paths with strbuf_gets() under --stdin
 - update-index: read --index-info with strbuf_gets()
 - check-attr, check-ignore, checkout-index: read paths with strbuf_gets()
 - strbuf: add strbuf_gets()

 Teach codepaths that communicate with users by reading text files
 to be more lenient to editors that write CRLF-terminated lines.
 Note that this is only about communication with Git, like feeding
 list of object names from the standard input instead of from the
 command line, and does not involve files in the working tree.

 Waiting for review.

* ep/ident-with-getaddrinfo (2015-11-28) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-12-01 at 0775d4c)
 + ident.c: add support for IPv6

 A build without NO_IPv6 used to use gethostbyname() when guessing
 user's hostname, instead of getaddrinfo() that is used in other
 codepaths in such a build.

 Will merge to 'master' by -rc0.

* mh/notes-allow-reading-treeish (2015-10-08) 3 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-10-23 at 8a697f0)
 + notes: allow treeish expressions as notes ref
 + Merge branch 'jk/notes-dwim-doc' into next
 + Merge branch 'jc/merge-drop-old-syntax' into next
 (this branch uses jc/merge-drop-old-syntax.)

 Some "git notes" operations, e.g. "git log --notes=<note>", should
 be able to read notes from any tree-ish that is shaped like a notes
 tree, but the notes infrastructure required that the argument must
 be a ref under refs/notes/.  Loosen it to require a valid ref only
 when the operation would update the notes (in which case we must
 have a place to store the updated notes tree, iow, a ref).

 As the patch was done on top of the 'drop old-syntax from merge',
 this has to wait until that other topic can graduate, unfortunately.
 It can be redone in a way that does not depend on that topic after
 this cycle, though.

 Will keep in 'next'.

* jc/mailinfo (2015-10-21) 1 commit
 - mailinfo: ignore in-body header that we do not care about

 Some people write arbitrary garbage at the beginning of a piece of
 e-mail (or after -- >8 -- scissors -- >8 -- line) in the commit log
 message and expect them to be discarded, even though "From:" and
 "Subject:" are the only documented in-body headers that you are
 supposed to have there.  Allow some garbage (specifically, what may
 look like RFC2822 headers like "MIME-Version: ...") to be there and
 ignore them.

 I have a feeling that that this is a step in a wrong direction.
 Comments?

* js/am-3-merge-recursive-direct (2015-10-12) 2 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-10-23 at dc631e5)
 + am: make a direct call to merge_recursive
 + merge_recursive_options: introduce the "gently" flag

 The merge_recursive_generic() function has been made a bit safer to
 call from inside a process.  "git am -3" was taught to make a direct
 call to the function when falling back to three-way merge.

 Being able to make a direct call would be good in general, but as a
 performance thing, we would want to see it backed up by numbers.

 I haven't gone through the "gently" change with fine toothed comb;
 I can see that the change avoids calling die(), but I haven't made
 sure that the program states (e.g. what's in the in-core index) are
 adjusted sensibly when it returns to the caller instead of dying,
 or the codepaths that used to die() are free of resource leaks.
 The original code certainly did not care the program states at the
 point of dying exactly because it knew it is going to exit, but now
 they have to care, and they need to be audited.

 Will keep in 'next'.

* sg/pretty-more-date-mode-format (2015-10-07) 1 commit
 - pretty: add format specifiers for short and raw date formats

 Introduce "%as" and "%aR" placeholders for "log --format" to show
 the author date in the short and raw formats.

 I have a feeling that that this is a step in a wrong direction.
 Comments?

* kn/for-each-branch-remainder (2015-10-02) 9 commits
 . branch: implement '--format' option
 . branch: use ref-filter printing APIs
 . ref-filter: make %(upstream:track) prints "[gone]" for invalid upstreams
 . ref-filter: introduce format_ref_array_item()
 . ref-filter: adopt get_head_description() from branch.c
 . ref-filter: modify "%(objectname:short)" to take length
 . ref-filter: add support for %(path) atom
 . ref-filter: implement %(if:equals=<string>) and %(if:notequals=<string>)
 . ref-filter: implement %(if), %(then), and %(else) atoms

 More unification among "branch -l", "tag -l" and "for-each-ref --format".

 Ejected from pu for now, as a re-roll should come on top of
 kn/ref-filter-atom-parsing.

 Expecting a reroll.
 ($gmane/278926)

* jk/graph-format-padding (2015-09-14) 1 commit
 - pretty: pass graph width to pretty formatting for use in '%>|(N)'

 Redefine the way '%>|(N)' padding and the "--graph" option
 interacts.  It has been that the available columns to display the
 log message was measured from the edge of the area the graph ended,
 but with this it becomes the beginning of the entire output.

 I have a suspicion that 50% of the users would appreciate this
 change, and the remainder see this break their expectation.  If
 that is the case, we might need to introduce a similar but
 different alignment operator so that this new behaviour is
 available to those who want to use it, without negatively affecting
 existing uses.

 Undecided.
 ($gmane/278326)

* sb/submodule-parallel-fetch (2015-11-24) 17 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-12-04 at 2c5ea47)
 + run-command: detect finished children by closed pipe rather than waitpid
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-11-20 at 89fc723)
 + strbuf: update documentation for strbuf_read_once()
 + run-command: remove set_nonblocking()
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-10-23 at 8f04bbd)
 + run-command: fix missing output from late callbacks
 + test-run-command: increase test coverage
 + test-run-command: test for gracefully aborting
 + run-command: initialize the shutdown flag
 + run-command: clear leftover state from child_process structure
 + run-command: fix early shutdown
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-10-15 at df63590)
 + submodules: allow parallel fetching, add tests and documentation
 + fetch_populated_submodules: use new parallel job processing
 + run-command: add an asynchronous parallel child processor
 + sigchain: add command to pop all common signals
 + strbuf: add strbuf_read_once to read without blocking
 + xread_nonblock: add functionality to read from fds without blocking
 + xread: poll on non blocking fds
 + submodule.c: write "Fetching submodule <foo>" to stderr
 (this branch is tangled with sb/submodule-parallel-update.)

 Add a framework to spawn a group of processes in parallel, and use
 it to run "git fetch --recurse-submodules" in parallel.

 Waiting for review.

* ad/cygwin-wants-rename (2015-08-07) 1 commit
 - config.mak.uname: Cygwin needs OBJECT_CREATION_USES_RENAMES

 Will hold.
 ($gmane/275680).

* jc/rerere-multi (2015-09-14) 7 commits
 - rerere: do use multiple variants
 - t4200: rerere a merge with two identical conflicts
 - rerere: allow multiple variants to exist
 - rerere: delay the recording of preimage
 - rerere: handle leftover rr-cache/$ID directory and postimage files
 - rerere: scan $GIT_DIR/rr-cache/$ID when instantiating a rerere_id
 - rerere: split conflict ID further

 "git rerere" can encounter two or more files with the same conflict
 signature that have to be resolved in different ways, but there was
 no way to record these separate resolutions.

* jc/merge-drop-old-syntax (2015-04-29) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2015-10-07 at 50fed71)
 + merge: drop 'git merge <message> HEAD <commit>' syntax
 (this branch is used by mh/notes-allow-reading-treeish.)

 Originally merged to 'next' on 2015-05-28

 Stop supporting "git merge <message> HEAD <commit>" syntax that has
 been deprecated since October 2007.  It has been reported that
 git-gui still uses the deprecated syntax, which needs to be fixed
 before this final step can proceed.

 Will keep in 'next'.

--------------------------------------------------
[Discarded]

* mr/ff-refs (2015-11-28) 6 commits
 . builtin/ff-refs.c: mark some file-local variables static
 . ff-refs: Add tests
 . ff-refs: Add documentation
 . ff-refs: add --dry-run and --skip-worktree options
 . ff-refs: update each updatable ref
 . ff-refs: builtin cmd to check and fast forward local refs to their upstream

 Specialized command to fast-forward refs to match their upstream.