Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-p4: add "--path-encoding" option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 13:09:55 -0700

Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2015-08-31 19.40, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> [email-masked] writes:
>
>>> +test_expect_success 'Create a repo containing cp1251 encoded paths' '
>>> +	cd "$cli" &&
>>> +
>>> +	FILENAME="$(echo "a-¤_o-¶_u-¼.txt" | iconv -f utf-8 -t cp1252)" &&
>>  ...
> Using file names and iconv like this may not be portable:
> - cp1252 may be called CP1252 (or may not be available)

"git grep 'cp[0-9]' t/" does tell us that we refrain from using them
and I am sure the portability worries is a big reason.  Thank you
for pointing it out.

> - reading from stdin is not necessarily supported by iconv

"git grep '| iconv' t/" tells me that this is irrelevant; we already
heavily depend on it.

> - creating files in CP1252 may not be supported under Mac OS
>    (Not sure about Windows)

The same as the first point, which is a good thing to worry about.

> One solution could be to use ISO-8859-1, convert into UTF-8,
> and "convert into UTF-8" one more time.

I do not quite get it; do you need to do anything more than just
replacing cp1252 with iso-8859-1 in the patch being discussed?