Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] doc: give examples for send-email cc-cmd operation

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 15:37:08 -0700

"Philip Oakley" <[email-masked]> writes:

> We seem to be going round in circles.

I do not think so.

> Currently the --cc-cmd isn't well documented.

Yes, I agree.

> I was trying to use, essentially, 'cat list.txt' as the command, which
> should work according to the current doc, which says nothing about
> how/if the patch file is to be passed to the command.

I've already agreed in the message you are responding to that the
current documentation is sketchy and invite mistakes like yours.
And that is why this series exists, isn't it?

> The question are:
> What should the "command" look like. (can it be a command, or does it
> have to be a script??)
> How should the patch/patchfile be passed - what should the
> documentation guarantee?

Yes, I think I already answered that, no?

>>    The program that is specified by `cc-cmd` is invoked by `git
>>    send-email` with the name of the patch file as an argument;
>>    the program can read from it and customize its output based on
>>    what the patch file contains.
>>
>> or something like that, perhaps.

We do not care if that program is scripted, or written in java and
compiled.  It will find the patch in argv[1].  It is up to the
program if it uses that input to customize its output, or it just
outputs a hardcoded list of addresses.

That is the only guarantee we would want to give.