Subject: [PATCH] rerere: fix an off-by-one non-bug

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 14:47:02 -0700

When ac49f5ca (rerere "remaining", 2011-02-16) created a new helper
function check_one_conflict() out of find_conflict() function, and
made the latter use the returned value from the new helper to update
the loop control variable that is an index into the active_cache[],
the new variable was incremented by one too many when it pointed at
a path with only stage #1 entry at the very end of the cache.

This "strange" return value does not have any effect on the loop
control of two callers of this function, as they all notice that
active_nr+2 is larger than active_nr just like active_nr+1 is, but
nevertheless it puzzles the readers when they are trying to figure
out what the function is trying to do.

Help future readers from unnecessary confusion by dropping an
unnecessary +1 from the returned value..

Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 rerere.c | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/rerere.c b/rerere.c
index 31644de..543df47 100644
--- a/rerere.c
+++ b/rerere.c
@@ -371,7 +371,7 @@ static int check_one_conflict(int i, int *type)
 	*type = PUNTED;
 	if (ce_stage(e) == 1) {
 		if (active_nr <= ++i)
-			return i + 1;
+			return i;
 	}
 
 	/* Only handle regular files with both stages #2 and #3 */
-- 
2.5.0-rc0-168-g2f1df93